The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has instructed that any gathering that exceeds fifty persons must not hold in an enclosed space except for religious gatherings.
He added that such religious gatherings shall also not exceed 50% of the total capacity of the state.
Sanwo-Olu who gave the directive on Sunday, 31st January added that anyone found guilty of the directive stands the risk of a fine or six months imprisonment and or both.
The Governor noted that the directive is in line with the COVID-19 Health Protection Regulations 2021 executive order signed last week by President Muhammadu Buhari.
The statement urged all Lagosians to abide by the directives from the state, federal, and health experts in order to curb the further spread of COVID-19.
He said, “The State Government has observed with dismay the widespread flagrant disregard and non-adherence to guidelines and protocols aimed at stemming and curbing the tide of infection.
“We particularly note that some event centres have been operating their premises outside the acceptable parameters for operation/usage and continue to be recalcitrant in this regard.
“This is to sound a very serious note of warning that henceforth all those found culpable and in breach of the existing regulations and guidelines would be swiftly and decisively dealt with in full accordance with the provisions of the law.
“Furthermore, and in line with the COVID-19 Health Protection Regulations 2021 signed last week by President Muhammadu Buhari, it is hereby directed that no gathering of more than 50 persons shall hold in an enclosed space, except for religious purposes, in which case the gathering shall not exceed 50% capacity of the space.
“A breach of the provisions of the Presidential Regulations attracts upon summary conviction, a fine or six months imprisonment and or both. Our enforcement agencies have been appropriately tasked to ensure maximum compliance.
“All Lagosians are enjoined to continue to observe all laid down guidelines and protocols issued by both the State and Federal governments for the effective containment and treatment of the novel coronavirus disease.”
Meanwhile, the Lagos State government has announced its readiness to reopen the Third Mainland Bridge before February 1.
Speaking with reporters on Sunday, the Federal Controller of Works, Lagos, Mr Olukayode Popoola revealed that the bridge would be reopened for use again at midnight of Jan. 31.
Popoola said the route as from midnight of Sunday would be free for motorists to ply as the contractor was able to complete the repair works on Saturday.